Monday, April 30, 2018

Brother Printer and Tomato Firmware -- Linux

I have been struggling to get my Brother HL-L-2320D attached to my Tomato router for months.

Let me start from the being. Netgear forced me to try Tomato. Their last few firmware Netgear were unstable for my Netgear R7000 router. For months of very little contact on the  own community site. The router itself is great hardware.

I've always wanted to try Tomato firmware, But the two step process made me nervous. It was easier than I thought. I even forgot a step (delete settings before install) and was still able to recover by just pushing the reset.

But when it came to setting up my printer on the USB router port, the best I could do was get it to eject a page with out anything printed on it.
 I tried:   (Just a few examples)
ipp://address/LPT1
socket://address
http://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource

But the one that work I found after giving up for 4 months was socket://address:9100




When I installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04, It found it with a little coaxing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment